Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Kansas City, Missouri : Paris of the U.S.A.


I'm not the one who bestowed the title upon it, rather, it's the motto I saw around town as I spent a weekend in the Power and Light district. A Mississippi river town with southern and midwestern roots, it's a strange mixture of old and new, and really did remind me of being in Europe, with its art-nouveau and brick office buildings tucked between overwhelming towers of stylized steel and glass. The district gets its name from the old factories and offices that used to line the street, but over the years it's become known as the artistic hangout and is now a place where you can wine, dine, and shop all within walking distance of the Convention Center and several turn-of-the-last-century hotels such as the Marriott and the Crowne Plaza.



Intersection near the Crowne Plaza looking toward the AMC movie theater (white tower jutting out from the brick buildings)



View of downtown from the second floor of the Convention Center - electic isn't quite the word


The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts as seen from the ground floor of the Convention center - resembling the Sydney Opera House in some ways
Here's a link to the Center's official web site with a better view and explainer : ici

I wasn't able to get a picture of the most unusual building downtown, the library, but there's a link where it's ranked as #6 on a list of the world's most unusual buildings (per this particular web site). It's a must-see. here

I really enjoyed my weekend, though my time was limited as I was there for business, but I will be following up with an article about several must-go places to eat and the woes of trying to find a decent cup of tea while traveling.
c:_:

No comments:

Post a Comment